Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Years in Coronel Fabriciano

left to right

my teachers in Rio (Vera & Fernando), coconut tree at the orphanage, me in front of a banana tree, the people I stayed with for New Years.























I had an invitation from a lady that I had met at a wedding a couple of weeks ago in a smaller town called Vicosa. I had met her son and his wife at an engagement party of a friend a few months back. She thought I was a pretty cool guy and invited me for New Years eve which is called Reveillon and New Years.

The bus trip from Sao Paulo to Col. Fabriciano was supposed to be 12 hours but turned into 15. There was some kind of issue with the toilet and it stunk to high heaven. They stopped off at some place and had it replaced. For me it was worth the extra time to get that smell out of the bus.

In Sao Paulo it had been pretty cool but when I got to Col. Fabriciano it was pretty hot. It ended up raining a lot over the next few days. I am so tired of rain right now. I can understand when they talk about the rainy season.

We spent New Years Eve at their church and then went to a country club for the rest of the time. Church ended around 11 30 and finished the time until midnight at the country club.

The guy that I had met at the engagement party was so nice and made me feel welcome. The whole family was great. No one spoke English but Jonathas and his wife Renate did their best to help explain by using words I knew and using body language.

They had some mango trees at the house but they were smaller and called mangitos. They are sweeter than regular mangos. Mangos are my favorite fruit so I was in hog heaven or mango heaven I guess.

His dads side of the family had a churrasca (barbecue) at one of the uncles farms where he has an orphanage for about 20 kids. They had banana trees, mangos, passion fruit and some kind of fruit that Indians put on as war paint.

We went to church that night and it was good too. The next day I left back for Belo Horizonte to get my bags and then go to Rio for a few more weeks. The trip to Belo was supposed to be 4 hours but it was close to 6 and a half or 7 hours. The traffic was really bad. I thing for a few reasons. A lot of people were coming home from the holidays, it was raining and the roads were bad because of so much rain that mud was on the roads and had slid down.

Now I am in Rio and going to Florianopolis tomorrow for another 14 hour bus ride (I hope its not longer) which is south. They have a lot of beautiful beaches and a lot of pretty girls. It~s a place that I wanted to visit before I left. After Floripa I will go to Porto Alegre and then to Curitiba and then to Foz do Iguacu which is a huge waterfall place and bigger than Niagara Falls. After that I~ll be back to Rio for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment