Wednesday, March 2, 2011

First Day of School

Like any first day I was a little nervous but it was a great day. Yesterday I got a shock when the power adapter I was using for my laptop at the apartment quit charging my computer and it died. It was working the day before. I didn't know what to do because I need it for school and to keep in touch with family and friends.

I prayed, put my request on paper and asked God for His favor to get it resolved today inexpensively. I found out in class that Rio runs on the same voltage we do in the US, 110 volts so I didn't need the adapter. I can just plug it straight into the wall. Most South American countries use 220 and require an adapter. One of the guys in my class had an extra 3-prong to 2-prong converter which is the only thing I needed and just gave it to me. Computer works great now. God is so good!

I really like the teachers and school. It looks like it will exceed my expectations. They have been very helpful about telling us where to go and get a phone. One of the teachers told us to let him know if we need help finding an apartment after class is over. They said there is a pretty high demand for english teachers in Rio. Sweet!

Every day goes from 10-6 with a lot of homework. I had to read for about 2.5 hrs tonight. We don't have class next M-W because of Carnaval. We will start practice teaching the week after that. It will give me good practice. I will have to be observed by the other students as well as the teacher. I have three other guys in the class from NJ, Chicago and Denver. They seem like nice people.

No comments:

Post a Comment