Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Scariest Day Yet

I know it sounds a little dramatic but getting my first haircut in a foreign country was a daunting task for me. I tried to wait as long as I could and even tried to convince myself "Oh, it looks good like this" but I knew deep down that it looked like a clown wig.

I looked up on Google translate and found out what to say for "Don't cut it very short" and told my barber. He made a motion around my ears and I nodded not really knowing what would happen. He then throws a Playboy magazine in my lap to read while I'm getting my hair cut. I smiled and told him that I didn't need it. He looked a little confused and finally put it back on the table. He probably doesn't get that much.

I have to give it to my Carioca friend, he did a bang up job. It actually looks good. I even gave him a tip and saw him a couple of times throughout the day because their shop is right around the corner from where I live. Every time I passed by I gave him the thumbs up, universal for "Good haircut Dude."

Well, my schedule is filled up. I have all the students I want now and it pays the bills. I picked up two more private students and have a few with a couple of schools as well. I met with one of the private students tonight. It's a married couple from Bolivia but the husband's job brought them here. They used to take lessons from a guy who went to the same school I finished with. His Mom got sick and he had to go home but he gave the couple my info. I already got another student from him. They are really nice and I talked to them for another 20 minutes after class. They said they liked it. It only took me an hour to get back home. I found the right bus that took me straight to my street. I told the guy who takes the money on the bus which street I needed in Flamengo and he told me he would let me know when to get up. That was the best bus experience by far.

Oh, I gotta tell you this story from tonight. Okay, I was walking to my students apartment. I got there early because a nice girl who spoke English helped me out. I was trying to waste time by just walking around and realized I didn't have the apartment room number. I see a hedge and I put my notebook on it with all my notes, info on all my students, and passport picture so can dig around and find the number. Well, I soon realized that the hedge was covering up a fence for an apartment. The fences for apartments completely surround them. Its not like I can just walk around the fence and grab it.

No sooner did put the notebook on the hedge that it slipped over the fence. I was in a panic. I walked around to the entrance of the apartment and the guard was sitting there with the fence open. He had seen the whole thing. Hallelujah! God helps me even when I do stupid stuff. Note to self: don't ever put anything on a hedge for safe keeping...Ever. He guard said something but it seemed to me that he was saying "Its a good thing I was here" and started laughing. I started laughing and gave him the thumbs up.

My other private student came from a referral that a guy I know from church. He had given a colleague my info and the guy contacted me last Friday and had a trial run class that afternoon. He said he liked the class so we'll continue next week. This week everyone is off Thursday and Friday. Thursday is a national holiday that happened to fall on Easter week and off for Good Friday.

Things are starting to feel more normal to me. I move in to my apartment next week and that will give me a feeling of stability, having my own place. I will miss the meals and help with laundry that I have now. I was in college for 6 years so I know how to survive with small meals.

I'm so glad I made this move. This past Sunday I was looking at the moon as the sun was setting and looking at Sugarloaf Mtn and the other mountains and thinking "I'm really here. This is so cool. I couldn't have made a better decision." I wish everyone who reads this could see what I am seeing. It's so beautiful that I want to share it with everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Easter Joel! COTH had a great service today. Hope you're having a great day celebrating our risen King! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. great stories, thanks for the updates! We're both proof that God is still in the miracle business. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Oh, What a drama queen!" Megamind.

    LOL, but seriously a good hair cut is hard to find. I'm glad you found one! Lovin the blog, keep the stories rolling. So glad you have your schedule booked up and are working hard. Not sure how many want to see pictures of you working hard but we do want to see some of you playing hard!!

    I would love to help you move this week but my truck doesn't float or cross over water well. But I thought of something you can do at your new place. Do not decorate at all, well maybe some Kung Fu posters on the wall but nothing nice. That way when you find a girl or a group of girls you like you can ask them for advice. They will have to come over to check the place out and you can check out their home decor skills! Just trying to help!

    ReplyDelete