Saturday, April 9, 2011

Wal-Mart - Hallelujah!

I've never been so glad to see a Wal-Mart in my life. It wasn't the same as the ones in the US but it was still nice to have a store with a little of everything. They didn't have what I was looking for - an egg crate for my bed. I haven't found one in Rio yet. They did have a printer that I may buy. Sometimes I need to print stuff and its just easier to have your own plus I need to scan and email stuff back from time to time. I could email the attachment to my school and they can print but its such a hassle to do that.

It was such an ordeal getting there. I thought I remembered where it was but obviously I didn't. I got off the bus when I didn't see it where I thought it was and just started walking. I probably walked for at least an hour and maybe two and asked several people but they didn't understand Wal-Mart. Good heavens I need to learn Portuguese faster.

I was determined to find Wal-Mart if it took me til 11 pm. For me it was a personal thing. Being in another country, not speaking the language, not knowing where I was - I wasn't going to let this situation defeat me (I don't know if that makes sense or not). I had to prove to myself that I could do this.

I finally got on a bus that went to Wal-Mart and I felt like a victorious gladiator as I walked through the doors. I also went to another mall that has the Statue of Liberty out front. I've never seen a mall that big. It was an inside mall and seemed like it went on forever. My sister-in-law Susan would love this place. I walked and walked and don't think I got through half of it. I did buy some pants and they have to alter and I need to go back next week. I wasn't intending to buy anything but I went in because I saw a pretty girl in the store and thought she should have the privilege of helping me and then I ended up liking some pants.

Coming home was an ordeal because the bus didn't stop close to the apartment again. This time they took me farther away than both times combined. I hit the button like three times for him to stop and he just kept turning it off. I said "Hey" and he didn't even flinch. He finally stopped and the girl who takes the money said something to me and I just motioned with my hands which meant "forget you!"

I was so far away I didn't know where I was. I saw a hotel and went inside and asked for the metro. She spoke English and told me to get a taxi because it wasn't safe to walk to the metro. I told her about my ordeal with the bus and she said certain buses don't stop where I wanted him to stop. It makes no sense to me - if there is a bus stop ahead and someone hits the button, let him off. I guess I'm just a simple minded gringo. At least I know now.

For me it was the best day I've had so far. I met several people today on the bus and at the mall. I gave a few people my business card. They were all so friendly. One family was in the store where I was buying my pants and they were helping the sales girl with translating. He heard me say I was in Flamengo and said he used to live there. Then his family and I started talking and they were so nice.

I started talking to a girl on the bus and she spoke English and was very nice too. I don't know - just talking to some nice people, finding Wal-Mart and not quitting and going to Barra da Tajica was a great day. Barra is my favorite place in Rio. I don't know, there's just something about it that I like. It seems so clean but its so far away. I think it will be a little closer when I move to Copacabana.

Oh yeah, I got in trouble when I came home. I'm not used to people looking after me. I hadn't seen my host when I left close to 1 and I got home around 7:45. We normally eat at 7 but I didn't call her to let her know I'd be late. I thought about it but thought it wouldn't be an issue. She wondered why I didn't call her. I told her I would just eat an apple. She said no, she would heat up the food for me. I could tell she was aggravated so I said I was sorry several times and asked her if she still loved me. She started laughing and said she did. She said if she didn't she wouldn't have warmed up the food for me. Its all good.

Sorry for the long post. Just a lot happened today. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment