Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Carnaval Parade & 3 Hr Church Service

I had written previously that I had missed the big Carnaval parade. Well, thankfully I didn't. They had it on Sunday and Monday night. They had 6 samba schools perform each night. I went on the internet Monday to get more info and found out I could buy some tickets for it. I found out later that I paid way too much but it was soooo worth it.

Since I found out Monday and the show was Monday, I had to go to and pick up the tickets. I found a place close to Copacabana that had tickets. I rushed to go find them but left the address in the apartment. I remembered the name and that it was on the road that went by the beach but I didn't remember their street number. I walked around for about 45 minutes trying to find out and never could find it.

I went into another hotel asking where it was. They said they had an extra ticket that someone who was supposed to go but couldn't. It was more expensive but a good ticket. I asked if they took credit card because I had hardly any cash on me. They said they took only cash so I went in search of an ATM and remembered that I didn't have my ATM card, only my Mastercard.

As I'm going to tell the guys at the hotel that I wouldn't be able to buy the ticket, I go into another hotel to ask. They said they take credit cards and found a ticket for me but I ended up paying double of what some girls at the show paid.

It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. My ticket was general admission so I had to get there early. I was there a little past 8 and it started around 9:30ish. Each samba school is supposed to take 80 minutes to go down this long straightway (probably about a half-mile). Each school had so many elaborate floats and colorful costumes. It was so awesome! I left early around 4 am after standing for 6 1/2 hrs and being rained on.

I took a wrong turn to find the metro and ended up walking a long way and past a lot of colorful people. I never made eye contact and acted like I knew where I was going. I ended up getting home at around 5 am. I slept until around 12 today.

There was a block party this afternoon close to where I lived. I was walking at the beach and heard the music so I went to check it out. I also heard someone talking as well which wasn't normal for a regular bloco. I figured out it was a church so I joined in their procession.

One of the ladies started talking to me and I told her that I didn't speak much portuguese. She found someone who spoke a little english and invited me to their church tonight which is close to the apartment. It lasted a little over 3 hours but I really liked it. It was very lively but I just understand hardly anything. It's like trying to listen to another language or something. I'll probably go back again plus there is a church here that is connected to my church at home and people in Bham have told the pastor about me and I have his contact info. It will be good to have a church and make some friends.

1 comment: