Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Last Free Day Before School Starts Back

(Took this while walking back today)

Since school starts back tomorrow, I decided to have a hang loose day. Slept in until around 9 and then had breakfast. I went walking around the beach for about an hour and a half. It was a gorgeous day, around 84 but felt close to 90 and the humidity was close to 80% (it was really thick especially when you don't have a/c).

I received an email back from a pastor here that knows some people from my church. Actually a group from our church came down here last year to help this pastor. I went to meet him and eat dinner and then go to his church.

He told me which bus number to get on and I went. I asked this guy next to me on the bus about Recreio, which is where the church is located. He told me to get off when he got off and get on this other bus. So I did but I didn't know where in the world I was so I told the guy to let me off. I called the pastor and he came and picked up in about 15 minutes. He bought me dinner and we talked for a while before his service.

It was exactly what I needed. I think I can really help out there. The people were so nice and helpful. One lady let me borrow an english/portuguese bible until I got one. She also translated during the service so I could actually understand what he was saying. He also said he knew of an english school that was in desperate need of teachers. He asked if I was interested and I told him I would be. He said they really want someone with a teaching degree and a work visa but since they're in need they might look past it. He said he would check with someone there and let me know.

If that did work out I would be able to get a work visa and three months of vacation plus making a little more money than I was expecting. They also have a thing that if you work somewhere for 12 months, then you get an extra month salary. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'll be praying about if for sure.

On my way home he talked to some guys close to the bus stop and asked them which way was closest to Flamengo, where I live. Oh yeah, saw a Wal-Mart Supercenter in Recreio. They told him a certain bus number but I thought it wasn't right. Turned out to be right but I got off waaaaaayyyyy to early, about a couple of miles. It was right by the beach which at first was well lit. Then it was more shaded and I saw this guy and he yelled something at me. I then crossed traffic and walked in the grass until I got back. While I was walking I saw another guy sitting in the shadows where I would have been walking. Note to self: don't get off too early next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment