Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pig Intestines & Carnaval Impressions



It's my third day of Carnaval and its....very interesting to say the least. Each day there are so many of these street parties called blocos. They started Friday night. Let me try to explain what a bloco is. There's a band or some guys playing drums and they march down the street very slowly while everyone throws streamers and dances along with them. Once they get to the desired destination everyone kind of hangs out.

School doesn't start back until Thursday. I'm not much of a party guy and I don't really know anybody or speak the language so I'm not fully utilizing Carnaval. I'm gonna go and check out other blocos in other parts of the city the next few days and see the scenery everywhere. If the weather is good I want to go see Sugar Loaf Mtn and Christ the Redeemer.

There are a lot of interesting looking people as well. I've never been to Mardi Gras but I believe it is similar. Guys and girls dressed up like nuns, police officers, roman soldiers, wearing a baby diapers. I saw a couple today that looked like the Simpsons.

There are a bunch of blocos all over town every day all throughout the day. I counted and there were 95 blocos just today. I missed the only one that I really wanted to see...the one with the big floats that they work on all year. I must have messed up my time and got there late. I did walk beside them afterward but they were mostly covered with plastic because of the light rain.

Oh yeah, the pig intestines. Well, I don't really know that they were pig intestines but I have a feeling. My host cooked it for me and it had pork in it and I loved it. Then there were these other things that looked kinda like a tube and it was a little chewy. I cut them up and covered them with rice and chewed them as little and as fast as possible so I didn't have to taste it.

We had it again that night but I had to tell her "Eu nao gosto este" which means "I don't like this." I couldn't do it again, no telling what it might trigger if I took another chance on it. That's why my blessing (which I started in college) is "Lord, don't let this food harm me in any way."



No comments:

Post a Comment