Sunday, March 20, 2011

Obama in Town & English Translation for Church

I worked a lot of this weekend on a paper that is due Monday. I worked a few hours Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night and this morning. I finally finished early afternoon and then went to the beach to read for a few hours. There were a lot of people at the beach today because it was so pretty.

Obama was in town this weekend. I went to Copacabana beach Saturday and he was supposed to be staying close to that. There was some short of naval boat patroling the beach. Oh yeah, when I was coming out of class Friday night there some people protesting Obama coming and handing out literature. They had signs that said Go Home USA and things like that.

I went to the church I had first visited and asked about english translation. They directed me to go with this guy and they gave me a headset and he translated the service in another part of the church so he wouldn't disturb others. There was one other guy that needed the translation besides me. He was from Bolivia but living in some european country and was here on business.

It was so much better to be able to understand the service. I was just a little delayed. If he said something funny, I would laugh a few seconds after everyone else. The guy who translated introduced his roommate to me. He had studied at Gadsden State Community College for 2 1/2 years and loved Alabama. He said he had visited Minnesota and New York but he loved Alabama the most.

He gave me his email and phone number and said some people from the church hang out at the beach sometimes and do other things and invited me. He really wanted to help me feel included. It was a good feeling. I only had to walk about 8 blocks to the church and it only took me 10 minutes. Last week I left the apartment at 4 pm to go the church in Recreio and didn't get home until 10:40. This was much better!

I teach two more times this week and in two weeks I will be TEFL certified. Now I'm starting to check out apartments. I checked on one from Craigslist and the guy emailed me back saying he was in Africa now on business with UNICEF and said he had the key with him and would only rent to someone who would take care of the place and he had no pictures. Something just didn't feel right about it. I started thinking, if he has the key he will probably want me to send him money first and then send me the key. I don't think that's gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment