Saturday, March 26, 2011

One Week To Go

It's hard to believe that its down to one week now. The internet went down this week and haven't been able to update much. My two practice teachings went good I thought. After one of the classes that I thought went really my instructor told me all of the things I did wrong. I didn't agree with all of them but I still love her.

The class I had Thursday was probably my best class. I did it on food and the homework is to bring food next week. I think one of the ladies will bring a cake since its our last week. If she does then she gets a passing grade. The teacher who observed that class said he didn't have anything negative to say and it was the best class he has observed me teaching.

Good news! The school offered me a 4 or 5 day teaching gig. The director said that I have had good reviews from my instructors and wanted to offer this to me. A lady from Sao Paulo is coming in for a few days starting next Friday for an immersion course. She'll be taking English 8 hrs a day for a week. I'll be teaching half days for the days that she is here.

The director said if I get good reviews then I may get some other opportunities in the future. It's small but its a good start. I should be getting some interviews lined up next week. A big focus now is getting an apartment. The other guys are really worried because they have to move out of their housing after this Friday. I have until April 16 to move out. I paid for housing for the extra 2 weeks of Portuguese but they chose not too. I'm glad I did.

If you think about it say a prayer for me to find the right place. I have emailed a lot of people and not many will email me back. You would think they would want to rent their place. I know God will open a door.

Today I worked on a little homework and went to the beach and read. This afternoon I went exploring and went to this 8 story mall in Botafogo. It was really nice. I haven't had ice cream since I've been here and I had to get a vanilla ice cream cone from Bob's Burgers. It was soooo good!

Monday I have to teach high intermediates. This is the class I have felt the most unprepared for because we don't have any books that we use for them. We kind of come up with ideas on our own for their lesson plan. I will be telling them about Alabama and doing a slide show with some different pictures and facts about Alabama. At the end I'm gonna play the chorus from "Sweet Home Alabama." I may have to bring my lighter and sway it back and forth.

1 comment:

  1. You also have to teach them where they say "Roll Tide Roll"!!

    ReplyDelete