Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Iguacu Falls










This was my last stop before heading back to Rio. From Curitiba to Iguacu Falls it was around 9 hours.

The falls are supposed to be bigger than Niagara Falls. The falls actually border 3 countries - Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. I heard the view from the Argentina side is prettier but with an expired passport I wasn~t able to go over there.

I had pretty much one day to see everything. The first night a young couple from Liverpool, England is staying in my room. They were really, really nice. They were leaving the next day so I didn~t get to talk to them very much.

The next day I go to the bus station to wait for the bus. It took about 30 minutes for the bus to arrive and it was so packed. We kept stopping and adding more people and I really don~t know how. I felt like it was a clown bus where people kept being added and no one leaving. I thought maybe we were going for some kind of guinness record.

I get there and there is a huge line for the ticket. It took about 45 minutes to get the ticket and so I am expecting to buy the ticket and go in. No way Jose! There~s another line after you buy your ticket that you have to get in. It went back further than the line to buy tickets. Thankfully it only took about 20 minutes or so to get through. Then I had to wait in line to get on a bus that would take us to different points in the park. From the time I left the hostel, it took about two hours to enter the park.

It was really cool and I got some good pictures. I met some ladies that were on the bus trip from Curitiba to Iguacu Falls that were nice. I saw them at the park and they invited me to go on a boat ride around the lake. I really didn~t want to do the ride but the ladies were so nice and friendly I decided to go.

There was also a bird park that I heard was cool. It was pretty neat but not something I would really go out of my way to see. It was beside the falls so I went. I saw some cool parrots, a toucan but he didn't have an Froot Loops with him. At the end they had an enclose place where they had a bunch of parrots flying free so you could get pretty close. Right before you leave, they had a guy with a snake where you could have it on you and get a picture. I like taking risks but that is one I didn't want to do. I hate snakes!

When I got back another couple from England had moved in. They were from London and very friendly as well. We went to eat along with another guy they met from the hostel from England as well. When we came back to the hostel we sat outside and met a couple from Holland. They were really nice as well. A lot of good people there. This couple has been travelling for around 9 months and were gonna go back to England but they have a friend getting married in Birmingham, Alabama and are gonna travel until then and then go to Bham for the wedding. It's a small world isn't it.

The guy from Holland was a big Pittsburg Steelers fan too. We talked football for a little bit. It was really neat.

That last night there was a Chinese kid in our room snoring up a storm. Joe, the guy from London, woke up because of the snoring and said really loud to the kid - hey, your snoring is really loud. It wasn~t like the kid understood or could stop but it was kind of funny except for the fact that he woke me up around 3 am.

The next day I left on an airplane - Hallelujah! The bus ride would have taken 24 hours and only cost about $R50 more which is around $30 US but I figured by the time you stop every 4 hours at little lanchonettes for food it would have cost about the same. The airplane ride was only 2 hours. I was so tired of being on a bus, the airplane was so much better. I just love being on an airplane.

It was a good experience. I~m glad I did it. If I come back to Brazil, I~ll go to the northeast and see the beaches there and see the Amazon. Now I'm spending the rest of week in Rio with some friends and relaxing before I come back home on Saturday. It was a lot of fun and I still want to do some more travel but another country now. Now I need to learn some Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment