Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Porto Alegre














This was my least favorite place that I visited. I don~t know why I visited here except somebody said the girls were pretty here but its Brazil, the girls are pretty everywhere. The bus ride from Florianopolis to Porto Alegre was around 9 or 10 hours I think.

It didn~t have a lot to do except look at the architecture of the city and see the sun set over the lake, which was cool. I was there for three nights. It was so stinking hot too. I thought south Brazil would be cooler because I heard in the winter time it is cooler. Nope, summer is just as hot here as anywhere else.

The hostel wasn~t that great and the first night they made a mistake and put me in a room by myself which was nice but outside the window people were talking until 2 or 3 o clock in the morning. The next day they put me in a room that didn~t have a window so it was really hot.

The people who worked there were really nice though. I met a nice guy from Belgium and a nice girl from Brasilia, other than that I didn~t really click with any people. I took a bus tour which just whipped around town and showed the architecture of the buildings which was pretty neat. They only had it in Portuguese so I had no idea what we were looking at. On the tour, you didn~t get a chance to get out. It was only a drive by tour. I would see something I wanted to take a picture of and it was like, Here it comes...there it goes. Never mind...I~ll get a picture of the next one.

I did get interviewed for something on TV which was cool. The people that worked at the hostel said I was a nice person and asked me to do an interview. I misunderstood what they said because I was thinking they wanted me to wait around and have lunch. Next thing I know a guy with a microphone and TV camera show up. They interviewed me and Gunter, the guy from Belgium about why we chose to stay in a hostel. I spoke in my broken Portuguese and had the uncomfortable look of staring at the microphone at first and then started looking at the camera. Somewhere, people in Porto Alegre are wondering why in the world that gringo is staring at the microphone and wondering what language I was speaking.

Oh well, it was a good experience and I met a few nice people and had a great buffet there so it was okay, just no Floripa.

No comments:

Post a Comment